Range Backsplash

I added a hood above the range. It originally had nothing and then a homemade vent hood and it was greasy and sucky.  

After adding a hood, I needed more backsplash tile up to the hood so that the grease from the cooking surface can be wiped down. I decided to make it match the bathroom tile I extended up when I raised the shower head. 

The tile was sticking out because it was done over the original backsplash which was a weird red painted cement thing

The tile was sticking out because it was done over the original backsplash which was a weird red painted cement thing

With the old backsplash removed, I can set the tile close to the wall

With the old backsplash removed, I can set the tile close to the wall

I put up two different thickness backerboard. 1/2" for the 6x6 because they are thin, about a 1/4". 1/4" hardibacker for the clay tiles since they are about 1/2" thick. This puts the tiles in the same plane.

I put up two different thickness backerboard. 1/2" for the 6x6 because they are thin, about a 1/4". 1/4" hardibacker for the clay tiles since they are about 1/2" thick. This puts the tiles in the same plane.

I did the white tile first so it is parallel with the floor and hood.  

I did the white tile first so it is parallel with the floor and hood.  

Clay tiles sitting in place for layout to match other side.  I cut out tile for the wall light fixture because I decided to keep them as a theme like in the bathroom

Clay tiles sitting in place for layout to match other side. 

I cut out tile for the wall light fixture because I decided to keep them as a theme like in the bathroom

Set first row. Tiling down is not the natural way

Set first row. Tiling down is not the natural way

I had to carefully chip out the old mortar bed to reset the corner tiles since I moved the adjacent wall back

I had to carefully chip out the old mortar bed to reset the corner tiles since I moved the adjacent wall back

Got them all set. Also fixed the plaster.

Got them all set. Also fixed the plaster.

Here it's grouted.

Here it's grouted.

I used "natural grey" grout so hopefully it'll match the old stuff and look good behind the wedgewood.