Welding a modern chandelier for the M Bedroom

The master bedroom has a comically small light fixture. 

image.jpg

When looking at chandeliers, I came across this light, which I thought would look good in the long master bedroom.

image.jpg

It was on Craigslist for $500 NIB from Restoration Hardware. Uhh no. I have a welder and know how to wire a lamp. It's on! 

 Made some designs. 

Made some designs. 

 Got some 1/2" square tube. 

Got some 1/2" square tube. 

I decided I wanted it to be 18"x4' for some reason. 4' long and 4' tall seemed the right max size for the room. 18x48 inches would be 1.5'x4 or 3:8 ratio. Is that a good aesthetic ratio? We'll see:

 Laying out. 

Laying out. 

 Nice ratio

Nice ratio

image.jpg
 This is a bad weld. It's sitting on top. You want better penetration.

This is a bad weld. It's sitting on top. You want better penetration.

 

I am NOT a good welder. But that's what the grinder is for. 

 You can see the line between the pieces where the weld can break again

You can see the line between the pieces where the weld can break again

 Here's my lil welder setup. It's a Lincoln 125A "pro-sumer" welder with .035 flux core and the option to add gas. Mask is auto darkening from Harbor Freight. $40 but soo cool. 

Here's my lil welder setup. It's a Lincoln 125A "pro-sumer" welder with .035 flux core and the option to add gas. Mask is auto darkening from Harbor Freight. $40 but soo cool. 

Even with my little easy welder, it's still hard to get it a good weld. The two knobs are simply amps and wire speed. There's a chart under the side flap of the welder that tells you what settings to use. It says flux core .035 should be set to current B and wire speed 1. That's low current and slow wire speed. You want the current and speed settings so that it makes a bead that melts into the metal a bit. 

It's been a lot of trial and error, mainly due to crappy welds - they have to be ground down and then some crack and have to be re-welded and re-ground etc.  

 I want to hide the wire in the fixture. It's going to be hard to fish it through  

I want to hide the wire in the fixture. It's going to be hard to fish it through  

 This galvanized eyelet fit into the steel tubing nicely

This galvanized eyelet fit into the steel tubing nicely

 It's taking shape

It's taking shape

 It's pretty difficult to drill this material so I marked out the holes with a utility knife buy scratching an X so that the countersink bit would have something to sit into and start in the right place.

It's pretty difficult to drill this material so I marked out the holes with a utility knife buy scratching an X so that the countersink bit would have something to sit into and start in the right place.

 I added some decorative wires to echo the shape of the ceiling  

I added some decorative wires to echo the shape of the ceiling  

It's coming along but certainly not going easy. It's been pretty hard to thread the holes for the "lamp nipples" with a tap (tapered thread cutter). Fortunately none of this needs to be super strong. 

I started trying to fish the "lamp cord" 16-2 wire through. I thought it would simply want to bend and turn the corner if I pushed it but it was too limp. Then I tried to push bailing wire through the same way but it also was too limp. Christina suggested I get some pull chain because it would feed by gravity. She was right.

 I got several feet of heavy pull chain and put the fixture at a 45 degree angle to gravity feed the chain down. Once I got the chain down, I tied the baling wire to it and pulled that through

I got several feet of heavy pull chain and put the fixture at a 45 degree angle to gravity feed the chain down. Once I got the chain down, I tied the baling wire to it and pulled that through

Now that I have the baling wire through, I need to get the lamp cord through. 

 Taping the lamp cord to the bailing wire. First try

Taping the lamp cord to the bailing wire. First try

First try taping the bailing wire to the lamp cord was a failure. I had to start back with the pull chain.

 Second try with a lot more tape

Second try with a lot more tape

Second try was a success! 

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg